Small Claims

How to file a small claims lawsuit with form DC84

Filing Fees

Up to $600



$601 - $1,750



$1,751 - $5,500


The defendant must be served with the Affidavit and Claim. Service can be done by certified mail or by personal service. 
  • Certified mail must be completed by the court - contact the court regarding the cost.
  • You may request that the papers be returned to you to make arrangements for personal service. Personal service may be made by any legally competent adult who is not a party to the suit. You will need to file a proof of service with the court.
  • You may request that service be done by a 43rd District Court officer/process server. The process server will contact you regarding the cost of service.