- Boards & Commissions
- Boards & Commissions All
- Construction Board of Appeals
Construction Board of Appeals
MeetingsMeetings are held on call when scheduled at City Hall.
PurposeThe Construction Board of Appeals hears, and acts upon, all appeals under the Building, Electrical, Plumbing, Mechanical, and Fire Prevention Codes of the City of Madison Heights.
CompositionThe board is composed of 5 members from the following backgrounds:
- Architect / Builder
- Architect / Structural Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer / Contractor
- Electrical Engineer / Contractor
- Fire Protection Engineer / Contractor
Members serve 2 year terms.
About the BoardAny property owner or contractor may apply to the board for variance from the provision(s) of the code. The State Construction Code Act provides:
"After a public hearing the board of appeals may grant a specific variance to a substantive requirement of the code if the literal application of the substantive requirement would result in an exceptional, practical difficulty to the applicant, and if both of the following requirements are satisfied:
- The performance of the particular item or part of the building or structure with respect to which the variance is granted shall be adequate for its intended use and shall not substantially deviate from performance required by the code of that particular item or part for the health, safety and welfare of the people of this state.
- The specific condition justifying the variance shall be neither so general nor recurrent in nature as to make an amendment of the code with respect to the condition reasonably practical or desirable.
For information on how to apply for a code variance call the Building Division at 248-583-0831.
Apply to ServeApply for a Board or Commission (PDF)